Monday, March 8, 2010

2010 Chilly 1/2 race report










Shout out to Mother Nature - thank you for such a great day weather wise. You=rock.

After spending a Saturday hydrating and visiting with my pops who is still in the hospital, I did my usual pre-race prep: a lot of sitting, a lot of water, pasta+spinach+tomato sauce and got my gear together for the race.
While I knew the weather would be great, I was still unsure what to wear - I was more concerned that it might be cold along the water if the wind picked up. I decided on:
  • Nike tights
  • Long sleeve Loft8 shirt
  • Under Armout t-shirt
  • Old Running Room jacket
The jacket was tossed at the 3km mark. I could have easily worn short sleeves the whole race but overall I was fine...
Since it was my Dad's bday on Sunday, I put a shout out to him on my bib:










The hubs was volunterring early in the morning at the race so I took a cab downtown. It was the first time to a race where I wasn't super early so it was a bit weird to be rushing around a bit before the race. I actually missed our running group photo as I was in line at the porta-potty. (3000+ runnners+volunteers+spectators = not enought portapotties...just saying..)
I rushed over to the corrals and was lucky enough to find my run buddies - I still can't believe I found them.
The race started off fine - no anthem though which I thought for sure they would play and was a bit dissapointed they didn't...aren't we all still on an Olympics/Canada high?
The route was changed this year to basically an out and back with 2 turnaround points. I thought I would hate this but I actually really liked it. I was awesome to see the front runners go by and it was fun (and distracting) trying to spot my friends who were also racing). Having all of Lakeshore closed was great as well....except for the GOOF who did turn out of a house on Lakeshore and drove up behind us at around 11km. The police officer who reprimanded him was way nicer than I would have been....
I hit all my goals at each KM and was ahead of where I knew I could realistically finish. I struggled a bit around the 19km mark as it was a bit gusty at that point but then I spotted one of my running buddies and focused on trying to catch her. I knew if I did, I would be able to finish even stronger.
And we did:


PB and a respectable time of: 2:27:41. I know this isn't fast for all you speedsters out there....this is a huge deal for me....










(sorry for the scary picture - post race/shower with zero makeup and extreme closeup isn't good for anyone...)
My legs are are seriously sore in my hamstrings and outer thighs....it feel good to know I worked hard this time around...

17 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations on the PB! I can appreciate that finish time. You rocked it!

marie said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

I ran yesterday morning in just a long sleeve and a tank. Way too warm!

So happy you made it through with a good time! Congrats & here's to a great ATB time!!

Kim said...

You're ten minutes faster than my personal best! GREAT JOB! You rock! :)

Laura said...

Congrats on the PB, I would be totally proud of that time, well done!

Marlene said...

Congrats on the PB!

They actually did sing the National Anthem... it just wasn't very loud. I could barely hear it and I was really close to the front.

I hear ya on the potties... fortunately we lined up in time!

I loved the new route... I hope they keep it!

Next up, ATB! ;)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

AWESOME! Hey!!! I think I saw you, I remember seeing the big UA on your shirt!! :) I agree with you, the new route was MUCH better! Hope you're feeling great today, and congrats on your PR! :)

objectsevents said...

congrats!!!! ahhh nice weather for running. all around terrific.

Teamarcia said...

WTG Laura! COngrats on a great race and PB!!! What a pretty medal! Sending you pop more healing vibes too.

Life, Health & Fitness said...

You are amazing and ALWAYS inspire me. Congrats on the PB, love the pics too!!

tashintraining said...

Congratulations! What an awesome race!

Steel Springs said...

Congratulations on a great race and a PB!

Caroline said...

Congrats on the great finish, it is a wonderful feeling having a PB!!!! I also like the out and back course, and it was neat seeing all those speedy guys whoosh by, haha. Crazy about that driver. DId you also see the elderly lady who drove into the start corrals, poor thing was completely lost. Anyhow, I'm rambling, but really enjoyed reading your race report.

119 said...

KK777一夜激情聊天live show成人自拍貼圖自慰少婦自拍裸體圖片台灣色情成人網站情人視訊網情色留言板視訊美女免費視訊聊天室限制級極度震撼情色論壇色情特區自拍裸女貼圖潮吹性影片觀賞小穴情色片a圖片sex story性愛影片美女做愛成人色情網站性愛圖片成人情色貼圖全裸寫真集圖片走光圖女生陰毛自慰影片色情av1007成人色情聊天室女生自慰裸體照成人影音聊天台灣色情網站色情片打手槍情色天堂成人視訊聊天免費情色網站av網超性感辣妹激突成人論壇情色視訊聊天鹹濕成人網站av成人論壇免費美女視訊

H-woman said...

That's a fabulous time!! I will crack 2:30 one day...it's on the list of things to do!

Congratulations!

H =)

Carol said...

Awesome job! I am most definitely not a speedster, and will be thrilled when I finally crack 2:30! Funny about the jerk that turned into the race with his car...I was running, ironically, the Policeman's Half here in Calgary and some j.a. turned into the runner's lane and kept IGNORING the officer's yelling at him, before finally getting hauled out of his car by one very, very, very angry officer! I thought he was going to get shot, to be honest!! I hope to never make a police officer that mad at me!

Angie All The Way said...

You are INCREDIBLE and you did AMAZING!!!!!!!! Thank you for always inspiring me :-)

Boris T. said...

Congrats on the PB!