Friday, January 29, 2010
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
15 min straight of abs
wall sits - 3 sets of 1 min, 1.5 min and 2 min. 2 freakin' minutes ain't easy..trust me.
pushups, low pushups, tricep pushups
bridges, planks etc.
Yep...fun. We then headed up and cleaned the house and did a full body crash for the night.
Sunday's gift was the amazing weather we had for the end of January...overcast but no snow and temps on the plus side. It was a good run overall. The last 3km were tough and we did some complaining - i.e. "Man I hate this street.." "where the hell is the turn?" and the Fbomb may have been dropped but we still had fun and a great way to spend a Sunday morning in my opinion.
This week is another tough week as .....hill training starts.
Friday, January 22, 2010
I have been trying to be more diligent about washing all our technical running/biking stuff together using actual sport wash:
The main reason is not so much to try to get the stink out of our technical stuff (in the end technical fabrics smell when you sweat as much as we do) but more so to ensure that the fabric doesn't get clogged up. No clog = better wicking ability=sweat absorption=better skin.
Also, a lot of this costs beaucoup de $$ so I am adament about trying to get everything out of the stuff that I can. Specifically the husband Tri's bib shorts. Holy crap these are expensive...and funny looking.
Remind you of anything?
The hubs' outfit isn't green though...
Anyway, I held off since Sunday doing any 'sport' laundry until last night.
8 runs + 2 spin classes + 2 core workouts + 2 weight workouts + 4 cycle workouts + 1 yoga session
24 technical shirts (short sleeve, long sleeve and running layers), 3 running jackets, 4 bib short outfits, 1 pair of bike shorts, 4 running hats, 4 pairs of gloves, 3 sport bras, 3 pairs of shorts, 2 sport towels, 6 pairs of running tights....
and a partridge in a pair tree.
Yes, it all fit into one load. Thank god for spending the money on a front end wash machine. It is now all hanging to dry on our banister or coat hangers:
Today is rest day and tonight date night. Dinner at Sweetsmoke for the best Cobb salad ever and a movie. (I believe Sherlock Holmes for a little RDjr - yum)
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Sun: 20km run
Mon: 7km recovery run at the gym. There were a lot of excuses not to do but I did and it was good.
Tue: 50 mins weights/abs; 7km Zone 5 run - a-may-zing said in the Hot Fuzz fashion (5:04 into the clip). Double workout day was actually really easy to fit in and I think helped my evening run. Who knew?
Wed: 45 min killer spin calls + 45 min core class
Thurs (tonight): Easy yoga session followed by our 60 min Zone3 run - target is for 10km.....
Friday is rest day which I need as our coach is already alluding to a killer spin class and conditioning session on Saturday. Great.......
The awesome Lynn gave me a Beautiful blogger award...I always feel like a cool kid on the Blog block when I get these so THANK YOU Lynn.
I am supposed to share 7 things about myself you don't know...Hmm..
1. I met the hubs when we were 19 in our first week of University. We actually lived on the same floor in residence so even though he saw early on what I looked like trucking to the showers after a late night, he still married me when we were 24 and blissfully together MANY years later.
2. I love fashion, specifcally shoes. You probably wouldn't really glean this from my blog which all about run/spin/core etc. but I do. Some of the favs from my closet:
3. I am pretty much an introvert. I am getting better but put me in a room with a bunch of extroverts/Type As and I shrink into the woodwork. Good thing I live with a raging extrovert to keep me in the loop.
4. The hubs and I are serious foodies. Other than bugs, I would pretty much try anything and have eaten things like mushroom ice cream, heart, lamb testicle, calf brains and other such weirdness - and yet I HATE broccoli. If you don't try, you will never know...
5. I love to read. I have to read something every night before bed and can plow through a novel easily in a day if I really get into it.
6. I hate waiting...seriously hate it. Conversely, I hate being late so I am usually early for everything...and end up waiting for others, things to start etc..
7. I love to laugh as exemplified on this blog.
Most people who I read have already had the awesomeness/beautiful award given to them so if you haven't and read this bit of fluff in the Internet world, consider yourself tagged.
Monday, January 18, 2010
-10 min straight of abs (cruches, reverse crunch curls etc)
-pushups - slow set, regulard and 'tricep'
and other such torturous stuff. It was brutal...
and then I got to clean the house...WooHoo!
Sunday was our group 20km run. I woke up pretty stiff from Saturday but overall it turned into a great run. The temps were on the (+) side and there was approx 10 of us that stuck together and chatted the whole time. I finished really strong and there was for the first time a glimmer that I can finish the 30km Bay race without crawling into the finish colisseum.
There were a ton of people out and as usual, we said a "Hello" to everyone we met. Most of the runners returned the hello but there were a lot of other people out that didn't even return the hello...or else it was a 'mean' hello - a grunt, groan or some other unitelligible response. Really? I mean we were the ones out there without coffee, many of us sore and we still tried to be friendly. Oh well for you...Karma's a bitch you know.
For my part, I found a lottery ticket from Christmas that I forgot about and when I checked it I had one $4.00. I never win so I have coffee $$ for two days this week. Say hellos - get coffee?
Friday, January 15, 2010
Last night was our usual group run which means a 60 min tempo run - Zone3 for me. (10 min warm up, 3 repeats of between 6:05-6:20 per km, 10 min cool down) Overall it was a great run. I felt very....runner-ish last night and not like my usual plodding along self. Maybe it was because it was so warm out or maybe, just maybe all this crazy training is paying off. Post run, we were back at our clinic when one of our buddies realized he had lost his keys. We headed back out to the route armed with cars, cell phones etc. I did another 1km run at the beginning of the route kicking leaves and other stuff out of the way. Luckily, they were found so crisis averted. Too much stress for a Thursday night! Now he knows even if he is in a rush to drop the keys off at the clinic or make sure his pocket is zipped. Actually it was a good reminder for all of us. I am the master of never actually losing my keys but having that 2 min freakout of:
"where are my keys?! Oh no what am I going to do...oh wait. Here they are...never mind."
I am relishing today's rest day as I am back at it tomorrow for spin @ 8am and core training at 9. Sunday is a 20km run.
20km already. Holy crap. 2010 is flying by already.....
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
After Sunday's 18km, I was a bit sore on Monday but nothing what I thought I would be so I hit up the gym for an easy run and weights. The run went great - nice and easy and I felt like I could have kept on going so that is always a plus in my books. Weights were boring..nothing new.
Last night was our run club which is usually a 7pm talk and then run after. When I got home, it was still daylight and the sun was amazing so I decided to head out for my run then and there. (after eating a few CarbBoom Chews while getting ready...I love these things..)
Last night was a Zone5 run - 1o min warmup, 2 min @ 5:05/km or faster pace, 2 min walk, 4 min ramp up run...repeat 2/2/4 3 times and 10 mil cool down. While I didn't quite hit my 2 min interval pace, all 4 repeats were averaged the same - 5:30/km and were barf-tastic so I am happy. I know that when the 2 min start, I have to really focus on just running them and not be all "checking-my-Garmin-how-long-is-it-oh-god-i-am-going-to-die". You know, that kind of mantra.
Tonight is spin and I think I am going to stay for core as well. Not because I don't want to be around Captain Sick either. Husbands make great sick people don't they......
Monday, January 11, 2010
Yesterday was an 18km group run. It was cold again like last week but the sun was out and I added a different layer of clothing on the bottom so it was a bit more pleasant. (it was still -20 with the windchill...) There is always that little voice that wants you to not run when it is that cold out but as our coach says, it might be like this on race day so suck it up. "Runner's Run!" So I always try to remember that and really, am I going to run 18km on a treadmill or alone when it might be warmer? Probably not....
There were a lot of people out which was nice to see and I ran with 5 others which for me was great as I now have a group I can at least keep up with and who can pull me through the upcoming long distances we have scheduled. (Jan 31st will mark my longest run ever - 24km - tminus 20days) The husband does double training on Sundays - 60 min run followed by 60 min bike) so we were pretty bagged at the end of day .... as in we were in bed by 9pm and asleep before 10pm.
Man...are we exciting or what? I love it though.
I have decided to change my schedule around a bit and do spin+core on Sat instead of Mondays. This frees a day up to do my 'alone' run of the week on either Mondays or Fridays instead of just Fridays. I think an easy run will help loosen my legs up rather than a tough Monday spin class.
Famous last words....I know.....
Friday, January 8, 2010
1. My husband. He is the best and just as goofy as me. We joke that we have been together so long (since we were 19) because we couldn't find anyone else you could put up with each other's crap. Joking...but serious.
2. My cats aka the kids. They come to the door when we come home, curl up with us on the couch, walk under my feet when I go down the stairs, yell at me when I wait to long to feed and sit on my heating vents in the winter. And love me no matter what.
3. High Fives. Who doesn't love a High Five? Our running group always gives then out after a run or if you pass each other. Mel gives them out every Friday and it makes me smile everytime. Check out this video - who would not want to start a day with a High Five?
4. Shoes. I have lots and lub them. Deal with it.
5. Running. I get what I put into it....that makes me happy.
6. A shower after a tough, sweaty workout.
7. That first sip of really good coffee.
8. Good Food - be it at home or at some of favorite places: Blacktree, Indiana Tea House, any place we ate in Italy...
9. Indulgences like pedicures, manicures, facials. God love the people who can tackle my runners' feet.
10. Comments and visits to all of you who take the time to read this blog. I truly appreciate it and love the support this community has given to me.
I tag all of you super people to think of your selfish happy things.
Good luck to everyone doing to Goofy this weekend! You are amazing and one day I hope to join you....
Thursday, January 7, 2010
- Be more 'organized' at work/home: I am a huge planner but let a lot of stuff slide like organizing receipts, putting small stuff off rather than do it immediately etc so this is going to change.
- Reach out more to family/friends: we are super busy but that doesn't mean I can't work in coffee/lunch with friends and family or even a phone call/email more than I do now.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Today was our first long run of 2010. Apparently Mother Nature wanted to test us so she sent out temperatures of -24 with the windchill. She was nice enough to not include snow that thanks for that....Overall it was a good run. A group of 6 of us stuck together and finished under 2 hrs so for an LSD, I will take that. My legs were freezing midway until the end as the wind had picked up a ton. I definitely needed my Winter wind tights and not the ones I had on. Lesson learned.