Tuesday, March 22, 2011

NYC Half Marathon – race recap

What an experience at the NYC Half Marathon! The race experience started at the expo..which was….underwhelming. We did figure out how to have some fun:

nyc

At the expo, we were told we had to wear bracelets on race day..and they attached them at the expo. No one ever asked to actual see these things but they made for a great fashion accessory for us – if we were SuperHeroes…which maybe we are..

IMG_2933

Race day started early with a meet up in the lobby and cabs to Central Park:

IMG_2935

The race started in Central Park which was just an great way to see the whole thing. I did think it was funny with people saying it was hilly…the Bay route is hilly..this was … rolley.

nyc park

nyc park3

nyc park2

nyc park4

The hubs was able to get a few shots of the elites…as they were coming out of the park at 9 miles..and we were still at about 2 miles…

IMG_2954

IMG_2956

IMG_2959

After leaving the park, you head out onto 7th St and into Times Square where we found the hubs hanging out with the local PD:

nyc times

Time Square was fun but also tough..my Garmin went haywire and had no idea of what pace we were running…and we were booking it at that point. There was even a sing-a-long in the heart of Time Square so we belted out Katrina and the Waves..not kidding. It was a blast:

timesq

After that it was onto West Highway and finish into Battery Park:

nyc highwaynyc highway2 nycfinishB

nycfinishLfinish

A 10 min walk, 1 missed line and freezing under our space blankets we hit the subway home:

IMG_2964

Overall it was one of the best races I have ever done – the volunteers, race officials, spectators etc were amazing. There were more porta potties that I have ever seen in a race, tons of water and Gatorade , entertainment at every mile and an amazing course. This was a training run again so I was happy with a 2:35 finish. More importantly, I felt really strong during the run.

So thanks New York….I (heart) you.

IMG_2970

..and your cupcakes.

IMG_2973

21 comments:

marie said...

YAYAYAYYAYAY!
I'm so jealous.

Lynn's Life said...

Congrats Laura, that looks like such a fun event! :)

Teamarcia said...

That looks fab! Glad you enjoyed it!

Fair Weather Runner said...

that looks like it was a fun race! congrats, glad you had such a great time.

Marlene said...

Looks like a great trip/race. I LOVE NYC! I'll have to get down there again soon. CONGRATS!

lish said...

Wonderful! Great job..so happy you had such a great time!

Robin said...

Great pics, great race report. Congrats, looks like so much fun!

Jill said...

That smile says it all!! Way to go!! I loved all the pictures and all your words, I almost felt like I was there :). NYC would be a blast to run, glad you got to have so much fun!! Congrats , girl!!

kristen said...

Congrats! That sounds like a lot of fun. I applied for the NYC marathon lottery (having never run a marathon) because I think running in NYC would be so fun!

The Turtle said...

That sounds like an amazing run. Congrats on an awesome time, well done.

Johann said...

Fantastic! Love all the photos! Seems like a really great race. I was just reading about one of the South African elite women that finished 9th and wondered how many blogger friends ran this. Well done!

marathonmaiden said...

sounds like an amazing experience. and you look like you had a blast! that smile is soooooooo big and happy :) congrats!

ajh said...

I love New York City. You are talking me right into this.

Evil Lynne said...

Fantastic post, Laura. It was a great read! Thanks for all the pictures as well, which were just terrific to view throughout your post as a virtual bystander. I couldn't be happier for you that it was such a great experience. :) If interested, here is a blog link from a New York runner who went to the half marathon to take pictures from the bridge above the finish line. When I saw her post on Monday, it made me think of you! Rest well this week in preparation for your Around the Bay !!!
http://earlymorningrun.blogspot.com/

~ Cynthia ~ said...

Congrats on a great race! Would love to run NY :) See you at ATB this weekend!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

You captured so many fabulous pictures of the event!! What a fun way to "train"!

I have cupcake envy now! :)

Tortuga_Runner said...

I am with Jess, total cupcake envy! Great job on the run, seems like you had a really great trip! I got your note about the PR mailer, no worries. Sometimes I forget you are in another country! Some day I'll get a Central Park in, I am extra motivated to get it in now that I have your race recap.

Anne said...

What a fun recap! I really looks like you guys had a great time. Yay! :)

http://www.anne-asthmaandthegiftofrunning.blogspot.com/

findingmyhappypace.com said...

Cool! Looks like you had a great time, there's no better training run than a race! Congrats!

baker said...

Stumbled over here from TK's blog.
Great Race recap and well done!

Tara said...

Congratulations! I ran it too and it was definitely a fun race! Somehow I missed the sing-along in Times Square though... how in the world did I miss that? Apparently I was too busy taking pictures and gawking at all the tall buildings! lol