The day started off cold. I knew it would be sunny and b/w 5-9 degrees so I was determined to not overdress. The bonus of this race is they open the local high school and you can chill there before the race. There were plenty of bathrooms/portapotties etc. and they have a ton of shuttles available. Apparently there was a ton of traffic at the finish line where the shuttles came in from so there was a bit of a delay with the start but everything else went smoothly.
Awesome run friends hanging in the gym pre-race:
Awesome run group: 3 huge PBs in the lot..
Desperately trying to chill..
Hanging will Hubs/Cheerer extraordinaire
Walking to the start line: Yes, we did do our drills.
Official photo running down the Red Hill..there actually might be a smile here!
Into the finish..hoping my legs won’t fall off…
So the good parts of the race were:
- I PB’ed at 10km…I even beat my Downtown Dash 10km time from this past July
- I PB’ed at 15km….I even beat my Midsummer Night run from August
- I PB’ed at 16km (10 mile)….I even beat my Boxing Day 10 miler time from last December.
Other good parts of the day include:
- finally meeting IRL Marlene and Marie. My shy, geeky self was in full force I am sure.
- The volunteer and police services were amazing.
- overall organization of the race was great - Werthers candy in the swag bag? Brilliant!
- good food post race but if you served GOOD coffee, you'd make a mint. I would have traded the hubs away for a cup of java...
I still hurt today but it’s that: “great, sore I worked my butt off kind of hurt” that I love and appreciate that my body can do.
And even not getting a PB will take away that accomplishment.