Friday, May 10, 2013

Goodlife Toronto Marathon 2013 Race Report

On Sunday I ran my 5th marathon.  Well really my 4 and 2/3rd marathon because of last year’s Mississauga fiasco.    To be honest after that race I never thought I would run a marathon again.  I know I said that many times last year….
Training went well through the Winter and cruddy Spring that we had.  I knew it was a stronger runner going into this marathon but again…anything can happen on race day.  We headed into TO for the expo (just ok and $10 to park – not cool.)  I discovered with my lovely friends that a glass of Proseco is good hydration before a race.
MSL TO marathon
Race morning came with an early wake up as we had to make it from the hotel to the race start.  Though I had a throwaway on it was not needed at all…it was already warm at 7:30 am.  Seeing as we had not had one training run that had been this warm, I knew it may be a bit of a slog. 
I was lucky this race to have 3 friends to run with through much of the race.   We were together, apart, ahead/behind each other for the whole race which for me made a huge difference.   I am lucky to have such peeps in my life!
BGSL TO marathon
Busted on a walk break just after the Casa Loma hill:
LSG TO marathon
Like any long race it was a battle in certain spots BUT overall I felt a lot better than I have in any marathon I have ever done.  In the end I had a 26min PB over my best time from back in 2010.  Still slow at 5:25 but slowly getting better. 
The giant medal made some of the pain in my quads dissipate:
013
The awesome peeps from my run group:
WTF runners
Giant Medal Heads:
ToMarathon medals
The best use of a medal yet:
015
While I did have a good run experience at the Goodlife Toronto Marathon, I don’t think I will do this race again.  I understand that organizing a race like this take a lot BUT if you are trying to make it a great event (and are in competition for other marathons running on the same day – Mississauga, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, New Jersey) you have to step it up.
The good:
  • Cool medals and nice race t-shirt
  • lots of volunteers
  • interesting (but tough) race route
  • lots of spectators
The bad: 
  • water stops that were unorganized and were not consistent with water/Gatorade not always being in the same spot
  • water stops running out of cups AND Gatorade
  • no marshalling on the trail part of the route so we were side stepping strollers, pedestrians and cyclists who were ringing their bells at us. (FU buddy…)
  • the only food left when I finished (well within the time limit) were white bagels and a few not so great oranges.  No water or bananas left.  Thank goodness the Milk on the Go people stepped it up!
  • Organizers limited race kit pick up to 3 per person (yours plus one other).  They flat out posted the reason for this was to encourage people to come to the expo as the sponsors paid a lot of money to be there….they need to hire new PR people….
I definitely don’t regret the race at all.  Post race I did some serious hobbling on Monday and Tuesday – thank goodness my work has bathrooms with hand rails in them!  
I am now in planner mode for the next great adventure…stay tuned…

8 comments:

Robin said...

Congratulations on a HUGE PB. Awesome. And stop calling yourself slow! You've had such a great season so far, you've trained so hard and it's paying off! Well done.

Johann said...

Congrats on a great PB! You did very well and can be very proud. That is a giant medal indeed! Rest well!

Sam said...

Awesome race Laura. Love the pictures. You trained really hard this winter and it paid off with a great PB! Good luck with the next adventure!

Andrea said...

Congrats on a new PB. I agree with you that Goodlife needs to step it up. The expo was lame, water stops unorganized. I really like the half marathon route though and want to run the full next year, really just to get the giant medal.

Lisa said...

Congratulations on achieving a new pb!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the PR!!

This race, more specifically, the medal is on my bucket list, but after hearing your review of the race, I dont feel like I need to more it up the priority list.

lindsay said...

26 min PR!!! That's a minute per mile! You are amazing! Since I'm way late, hope recovery went well.

Review Link said...

We are always looking for Sponsors! Corporate Sponsors, Small Business Sponsors, and Individual Sponsors. Please help us if you can by becoming a sponsor for the Team Spirit Breast & Ovarian Cancer 5K & 10K. Join the 15th Annual Team Spirit Long Beach 5k and 10K marathon and help put an end to breast and ovarian cancer today! This is an opportunity to promote your business while supporting a worthwhile cause. All sponsors at the Hero ($2,500) level and above will receive recognition in Long Beach Memorial's Mercury Magazine, recognition in the Long Beach Grunion Gazette, recognition as a Team Spirit Sponsor on the Team Spirit Website, and your name posted at the start/finish on the day of the walk. Team Spirit Long Beach organizers can be flexible in the way your company chooses to be recognized. We are open to your suggestions and welcome your input on meaningful ways to impact the value you receive from sponsorship.